Aussie Xmas
Hello Again. It has been awhile since my last post. I could blame the busy holiday season and all but really I have just been lazy about doing much of anything. Jake and I had the last ten days off. We took some day trips and have spent several days lazing around. But I guess relaxing is the point of taking vacation. Anyways... I feel a little wierd posting a light hearted note about our experiences here in light of the tsunami tragedy in SE Asia. The gravity of the situation is very real here. I think because we are somewhat close to where it hit and because there were so many Aussies there. It has been very big news for a week now. It definitely makes me grateful for what I have in life. Once again a major world tragedy has made me rethink my priorities.
With that said, I could dwell and be sad or get on with life. I choose to get on with life and thus I am going to post a note on our Aussie xmas!
Yes, we made it through our first Aussie Xmas. All I can say is that it was very strange. I don't think Jake or I really got into the Xmas spirit. We still had fun and enjoyed our time with the kids but it was very wierd.
First of all, without family around, the holiday rush never hit. It seemed as though we had few commitments and plenty of time for shopping, decorating etc.
Secondly, the weather was warm. Christmas just doesn't seem like christmas without, at the minimum, a rainy cold Oregon day or a snowy cold Minnesota day.
And lastly, did I mention that we had alot of time on our hands. Again, not complaining, it was the most relaxing Christmas I have ever had, it was just really strange. I think we all got a little homesick.
We did incorporate a few Aussie/English traditions into our holidays, though and that made it fun! At the grocery store and every other store in Melbourne, they sold crackers which are basically a tube wrapped like a present with goodies. At first Jake and I couldn't figure out what they were. I thought that actual crackers (the kind you eat) were inside. Finally, curiosity got the best of us and Jake bought a box. Basically, you pull the ends of the tube and it cracks like a firecracker. Inside there was a joke, a small toy and a paper hat. So we opened our crackers on Christmas Eve, wore the hats like a foursome of dorks and decided that maybe next year we skip the crackers at Safeway and go for the fancy ones at the mall.
The second tradition was having Christmas Pudding. First of all pudding is not pudding here. Pudding is more like a generic term for dessert. This would explain our Christmas Pudding being a doughball (with dried fruits) wrapped in cheese cloth. Now some may question why we would spend $20 on a ball of fruit cake dough wrapped in cheesecloth. We were assured that it was very good though! So we went ahead, bought it, boiled it for 30 minutes (you're drooling aren't you??) let it cool and served it with heavy cream. Mind you not whipped cream, heavy cream. The results, I thought it was really good. It was kind of like cinnamon raisin bread but more flavorful and dense. However, the rest of the family wasn't as fond of it. So, next year I'll be going to our neighborhood bakery to get a christmas pudding for one. Much more economical.
Another biggie for Christmas is Turkey. Since there is no Thanksgiving, Turkey is big here. However, the turkeys here are small. No conversation on how big your Chrstmas turkey is. Also, because of the heat, many families BBQ prawns, turkey breast, lamb, etc... They do a big Christmas Lunch and then a dinner of lunch leftovers.
Some other notes on Xmas....
Its not as commercialised here.
They also have big sales after Xmas but generally, the city seemed to be fairly quiet. Seeing as its summer, many people are on holiday and not around.
Other than a little homesickness, we really had a nice quiet holiday and spent alot of time playing with the kids, going to the movies and taking a few day trips. However, if you want to come visit us next year... you won't hear any complaints.
Anyways, for the first time since we got here I finally feel like we are getting into a normal schedule. The new school year starts for Ben and Rach in 3 weeks and our endless summer will be coming to an end at the beginning of March. AlthoughI enjoy summer weather, fall is my favorite time of year. Once again, though it will be strange as we'll be celebrating Lent and Easter during the Fall. My friend Natalia from work immigrated here from Russia 10 years ago and she said the first year is the stangest because of the seasons being turned around. But, then you get over it!!
Happy New Year to you all!!
Jen :)
With that said, I could dwell and be sad or get on with life. I choose to get on with life and thus I am going to post a note on our Aussie xmas!
Yes, we made it through our first Aussie Xmas. All I can say is that it was very strange. I don't think Jake or I really got into the Xmas spirit. We still had fun and enjoyed our time with the kids but it was very wierd.
First of all, without family around, the holiday rush never hit. It seemed as though we had few commitments and plenty of time for shopping, decorating etc.
Secondly, the weather was warm. Christmas just doesn't seem like christmas without, at the minimum, a rainy cold Oregon day or a snowy cold Minnesota day.
And lastly, did I mention that we had alot of time on our hands. Again, not complaining, it was the most relaxing Christmas I have ever had, it was just really strange. I think we all got a little homesick.
We did incorporate a few Aussie/English traditions into our holidays, though and that made it fun! At the grocery store and every other store in Melbourne, they sold crackers which are basically a tube wrapped like a present with goodies. At first Jake and I couldn't figure out what they were. I thought that actual crackers (the kind you eat) were inside. Finally, curiosity got the best of us and Jake bought a box. Basically, you pull the ends of the tube and it cracks like a firecracker. Inside there was a joke, a small toy and a paper hat. So we opened our crackers on Christmas Eve, wore the hats like a foursome of dorks and decided that maybe next year we skip the crackers at Safeway and go for the fancy ones at the mall.
The second tradition was having Christmas Pudding. First of all pudding is not pudding here. Pudding is more like a generic term for dessert. This would explain our Christmas Pudding being a doughball (with dried fruits) wrapped in cheese cloth. Now some may question why we would spend $20 on a ball of fruit cake dough wrapped in cheesecloth. We were assured that it was very good though! So we went ahead, bought it, boiled it for 30 minutes (you're drooling aren't you??) let it cool and served it with heavy cream. Mind you not whipped cream, heavy cream. The results, I thought it was really good. It was kind of like cinnamon raisin bread but more flavorful and dense. However, the rest of the family wasn't as fond of it. So, next year I'll be going to our neighborhood bakery to get a christmas pudding for one. Much more economical.
Another biggie for Christmas is Turkey. Since there is no Thanksgiving, Turkey is big here. However, the turkeys here are small. No conversation on how big your Chrstmas turkey is. Also, because of the heat, many families BBQ prawns, turkey breast, lamb, etc... They do a big Christmas Lunch and then a dinner of lunch leftovers.
Some other notes on Xmas....
Its not as commercialised here.
They also have big sales after Xmas but generally, the city seemed to be fairly quiet. Seeing as its summer, many people are on holiday and not around.
Other than a little homesickness, we really had a nice quiet holiday and spent alot of time playing with the kids, going to the movies and taking a few day trips. However, if you want to come visit us next year... you won't hear any complaints.
Anyways, for the first time since we got here I finally feel like we are getting into a normal schedule. The new school year starts for Ben and Rach in 3 weeks and our endless summer will be coming to an end at the beginning of March. AlthoughI enjoy summer weather, fall is my favorite time of year. Once again, though it will be strange as we'll be celebrating Lent and Easter during the Fall. My friend Natalia from work immigrated here from Russia 10 years ago and she said the first year is the stangest because of the seasons being turned around. But, then you get over it!!
Happy New Year to you all!!
Jen :)

1 Comments:
Hello, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all. It is great seeing that you guys enjoyed your holidays even though you are away from friends and family. I think you guys all looked cute with your cracker hats. Very funny though. Seems like all is well and you are really enjoying yourselves. Good to hear. We all miss you guys, but maybe some of us will make a trip to see you this year. God Bless.
Post a Comment
<< Home